Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Events, Perspective & Thoughts

Hello again.
All continues to go well here. Most students are busy with revising(studying), yet without classes, still finding a nice amount of free time to enjoy the last weeks here.

I had an interesting conversation this evening with a kitchenmate who will remain nameless. It began when he called a few classmates words which would be deemed incredibly offensive in American society. Because this specific kitchenmate and I tend to have long discussions, we embarked on a chat about equality. I truthfully was interested in his perspective regarding the equality of all people. The conversation took a few dark turns and was overwhelmingly saddening and upsetting to me, but still worthy and fascinating. I said what I wanted to say. I gave a few examples and I found myself in some type of teaching mode. I've thought deeply about teaching over the past few years. I remember being seven years-old and not wanting to be a teacher but having a strange feeling I would be. In high school I explored it further, and in my first-year of college I gladly volunteered in a couple programs which taught English to adults and children. I don't know what path I'm currently on, but I love the fulfillment of bringing realization, growth and knowledge to someone else.

Yesterday was exciting.

In the early evening Shaunna and I attended the Christian Union's end-of-term barbecue. And it was wonderful. It was held in St. Mary's Quad which brought back some crazy realistic memories. I had been in St. Mary's quad twice before, the most recent being the feminism photo shoot and the previous being the Christian Union's Beginning-of-term Champagne brunch. The champagne brunch memories were what struck me hard yesterday. The late-April and early-September weather share a few similarities. The sunshine, the scene, the groups of students and the weather all just brought me back to early September in the most realistic and reminiscent way. I remember going alone to the brunch. It was the morning of September 11th. It was a Tuesday and I had been in St. Andrews a few days already. I was a bit lost and upon arrival, wasn't sure who to talk to or introduce myself to. I met my academic Dad John there which I think is why the area has so many positive memories associated with it. Just as I've found goodness and friendliness all year while here, those first few days I certainly didn't know what to expect for the eight months ahead of me and I think the beautiful experience the year has been began there. Shaunna and I jumped from group to group, I laughed far too much and had so much fun talking to friends. I also met up with my academic brother Josh who was grilling. We agreed on organizing some type of end-of-year siblings reunion at a pub with our other four siblings. Josh also delivered the happy news of "Liz! You're going to be an aunt!" Josh plans to adopt children in the fall and it was exciting to hear that I can play the role of the faraway American aunt. :)

Later that evening I met up with Miriam, her boyfriend Harry and her friends Charlotte and Sarah to go dancing at the Student Union. I think we danced for about three hours and there was so so much laughter. It was a bit dangerous. I think we all truthfully experienced suffocation risks. The music was very 1950s/1960s/Beatles and it was wonderful. My original plan was to stay up until sunrise to participate in the annual St. Andrews tradition of the May Dip! I planned to join other willing undergraduates and run into the North Sea at dawn...an action rooted in the belief that if doing so, one will pass his or her exams and reverse all academic curses (inflicted only by stepping on the spot where Protestant martyr Patrick Hamilton burned, or spending a romantic moment or two with an academic sibling). As the night wore on though, and the group I was in decided against diving into the sea after describing frigid and miserable experiences the previous year, I found when I returned to my room around 3, I fell into a deep sleep and slept through the May Dip. I would LOVE to see the sunrise though over the North Sea in my remaining days here, but I imagine I'll stay out of the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment