Sunday, May 12, 2013

The End is Near

Greetings!
Yesterday evening.

The challenge of packing and saying farewell has begun.
I packed up a chunk of my room today and have taken down the majority of photos, cards and notes from my walls.
It's a somber time.
I've studied so much for my Wednesday and Thursday exam and part of me just wants to take both exams tomorrow and be finished.
The current state of my desk.

I met with the kitchenmates tonight to attempt to give away a lot of my kitchenware.
I'm struggling with packing. The last few weeks I've gotten rid of a lot and today I recycled and donated even more.
I'm trying not to look back and keeping only what is necessary.
Today was graduation day at Saint Michael's. It was beautiful seeing the photos of so many friends graduating.
I remember when I applied and was accepted for a year abroad at St. Andrews, it was challenging realizing I would miss the senior years and graduations of so many friends, but I think (in a somewhat selfish way) it's been so worth it for me to be here for the full year.
It also will make this week pretty tough.
But we will survive.
Ohhh and in between final plans/dinners/lunches/study sessions with friends, I may not blog too much...I'll try for a couple more posts though. And I'm looking forward to blogging in Vermont/New Hampshire this summer.

And lastly, for a bit of laughter, my friend Sheen and I attended 'The Original St. Andrews Ghosts and Witches tour' together a few days ago seeking an exciting break from revisions. We had decided on it over coffee after the prayer meeting we attended on Thursday morning. We were hoping Miriam would join us as well, but sadly she was too deep in revision. Come Friday night, we were the only participants on the tour and were met in the center of St. Andrews by a man with a Captain-Hook-like-hand who took our money and then said, 'Alright, I'll be off to the pub with your money...your tour guide should be around shortly!' Immediately, Sheen and I looked at each other skeptically before I said, 'That means he'll be the one jumping out to scare us during the tour...' A few minutes passed before a woman in a bonnet and cape (presumably his mother) arrived and began our tour. Throughout the sixty-minute evening tour, she treated Sheen and I as if we were a group of fifty people. Her storytelling and theatrical tactics were interesting, though. The first story involved witches burned in St. Andrews before Mr. Hookhand ran out from his hiding spot behind a monument dressed as a witch and bestowed a slew of curses on us (my favorites were that Sheen would smell bad every second Tuesday and that I would forget an acquaintances name...which already happens pretty regularly). Later, our tour guide took us to the library...where masses of students were revising the weekend before exams...we commanded a bit of unwanted attention when we arrived with our caped guide...and told more tales of ghostly St. Andrews. Mr. Hookhand appeared soon after to throw the imaginary contents of chamber pots at us which we ran away from. It was frightening. Later, the tour ended with our guide leading us down an alley way to a cleared area  before Mr. Hookhand appeared for a final confrontation in a grey wig and tried to buy my soul. Thankfully, I didn't let him. It was an interesting evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment