Monday, September 3, 2012

The time has arrived.


I leave tomorrow afternoon out of Boston! I’ll take three flights – including an overnight (or red eye) flight from New York to London and in full, travel for a little under 24 hours, arriving in Edinburgh – the capital of Scotland – on Wednesday. I’ll be attending an orientation with other American students traveling to universities in Scotland for three days in Edinburgh. On Saturday, I’ll arrive at St. Andrews and have orientation there for a little over a week and start classes on September 17th.

                I’m ready to depart at this point. The summer has been wonderful, but very long. Four months, and while amazing, it was a lot of time to be out of school and such a huge change from being at Saint Michael’s for two years when I was in such a social setting all the time. I worked at Café Indigo, a vegan café/bakery in Concord for the past four months, and while it could be tough, and was certainly the most challenging job I’ve ever held, I learned so much about the restaurant/café/bakery business, and loved loved loved all (actually, most) of the customers I met and was able to interact with every day, and ate such delicious lunches every day. This summer, major changes occurred for Café Indigo as contracts were signed providing Whole Foods grocery stores in all of New England, New York City, and the state of California many of the cakes, cookies, whoopie pies, etc. California, especially, was an exciting state to provide vegan desserts for, as the state is so vegan-friendly, and has a multitude of vegan bakeries to choose from already. It was an exciting and very changing summer there, for sure. I think back to several of the funniest moments of the summer occurring with customers, co-workers, and events around the bakery. Some of the funny aspects of the job that I look back on are how much time I spent in giant walk-in freezers digging through boxes of whoopee pies and cookies searching and shivering, the amount of customer questions I answered about the taste of seitan (a wheat protein with a bread-like taste and meat-like substitute), the thousands of cupcakes I frosted, the kind, peaceful vegans who came in, the angrier, passionate vegan customers, the number of times I slipped on the concrete kitchen floor after it was mopped daily, the number of times my head scarf (protecting my hair from getting in the food) slipped off my head as I delivered dishes to customers, and the man who would periodically knock on the door after we had closed and turned off the lights asking for a cupcake. Many of the customers provided me with advice/information/warnings about life, Scotland, microwaves, vegan recipes, canola oil, bunnies, and countless more subjects.

                On a totally different note, this past January I was able to attend a conference in Atlanta for the interfaith youth core. An emerging, Chicago-based organization striving to increase dialogue and acceptance between all religions, I loved the conference. While the three of us from Saint Michael's who attended quickly returned to sub-zero Vermont temperatures very very late when we returned in the middle of January as well as an exhausting semester, this summer I’ve thought back to that movement and conference several times. I hope to find an organization or movement like that at St. Andrews. As proud as I am to be Catholic/Christian, I’m even prouder to be interested in accepting and loving every religion. Perhaps that has shaped my view as to religion being just the same as men and women all being equal. The interfaith youth core is a wonderful organization, and I feel so thankful to have found it. It may not be in full swing now, it may not have started yet, perhaps it never will, but I do see a movement for religion equality, one that is just beginning, the tip of the iceberg, maybe, but one in which discrimination and lack of equality between religions is occurring, it is quickly coming to light, and I fear that just as the civil rights movement, the women’s movement, and the current gay rights movement, a movement towards acceptance of all religions is coming. It’s necessary, and it might not be nice, but between now and when Christians accept Muslims, Jews accept atheists, agnostics accept Sikhs, a movement must begin. Most world conflicts both today and dating back thousands of years emerge from disagreements between religions. This decade and this time is such a turning point. The protests and voices of this generation which I’m happy to be a part of, are louder and challenge our society. No matter one’s age, experience, beliefs, or affiliations, we all want a better world. While we each have different definitions of “better,” I see that together we are forever evolving, changing, and striving for improvement in our lives, in the minds of others, in the lives of us all. We all want peace, we all want famine and genocide to end, we all want our ideas and goals met. While I didn’t plan for this to become an inspirational-like post, I think what I feel most strongly about is speaking one’s mind. Participation in society is crucial, no matter what ideals or hopes one has, I see voicing it as the most important. For democracy to continue, the voices, opinions, and free speech of all of us is needed. Involvement and participation is necessary. What is making today’s young generation succeed in movements, changes, and protests began when millions of young people were willing to speak their thoughts and ask for change. I think that’s who I want to be.  

                As for tonight’s reality, I’m ready for it all to begin. This coming weekend I’ll be beginning the year at St. Andrew’s, and I look forward to the new experience so much. The journey begins tomorrow in Boston, then New York, London, Edinburgh, St. Andrews. I’m so so packed, and prepared for the adventure to begin!

P.S. I’ve been listening to this a lot lately, one of my favorite songs. J http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuIwRweZoec 

P.P.S. Thanks for all of the lovely well-wishes. J It’s been wonderful to hear from family, friends, and former teachers interested in all that is going on. I was so touched earlier today when my second-grade teacher Mrs. Hamilton sent me an e-mail asking for my flight number to track it. J

And a picture from the weekend.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment