Monday, September 17, 2012

Classes began today, and while I don't begin until Creative Writing tomorrow at 3 p.m. I still worked on some reading and ventured out to the library this morning. Entering the center of town, I should have known from the beginning I would later be lost to a rain storm. I left my now-dry umbrella from yesterday's rain hanging in my room, and wore a jacket with a hood. While I needed my sunglasses immediately upon stepping out of my residence, as I crossed an empty field of grass, gusts of wind brought me more steps forward than I intended to take. After giving myself a pat on the back for choosing to wear jeans today, I tried to remember if I had ever actually been blown in any direction before?
Once at the library, it was a chaotic scene of lines (no, nevermind, queues) everywhere and students milling in every direction. I flashed my student ID to enter through the electronic doors and decided to explore the second floor (called the 3rd level). Both the 3rd and 4th level (or second and third floors) are 'absolute silence' levels while the first level (called the 2nd) is nicknamed 'the playpen' and often contains talkative students. Upon entering the 3rd level, a large board with enormous painted white letters spelling S-I-L-E-N-C-E greeted me. I found a comfortable table spot and opened up The Granta Book of the American Short Story to finish reading the lengthy introduction. I stayed for a couple hours, and then decided to trek back to my residence to eat my lunch. Upon leaving the library, the sun was strong and my sunglasses were back out. I weaved through the streets of town and turned in the direction of my residence. Students and others were all around, and together we crossed streets, headed in the same direction, and wore similar iPods, until...storm clouds appeared (out of nowhere.) and light rain quickly became very, very heavy rain. I zipped my bag up to protect my books and notebooks and took the sunglasses off my head. The crowd soon became every man for himself  as we all ran in different directions. I sought shelter under a bunch of trees laced with leaves and hanging spider webs. I stayed for a few minutes but then decided it was time to proceed on. My jeans became glued to my legs for the remainder of the walk, but soon enough, I had arrived at my destination.

I spent the afternoon reading and doing laundry before deciding to begin my running career again this evening. While I've walked everywhere here, I haven't gone on a serious run in at least 2 weeks. I used to super struggle with jogging and would usually keel over in exhaustion and lack of breath, but this summer I reformed my running ways! I can go longer distances and enjoy the exercise much more. I got slightly lost today on my way towards West Sands beach and ended up on the golf course. I jogged along the perimeter of it, and then jogged through St. Andrews which was wonderful. In heading home, I decided to pick up some dinner, and was hoping to find some fish, as I had yet to try fish in St. Andrews. I've ate all homemade vegetarian meals thus far, and have loved the leftovers and extra meals I've made with the ingredients I've used, but was feeling like something different.

I had heard great things about Tailends, a fish take out restaurant from my academic family and upon finding the location, I ordered a single haddock fish cake. I was told salmon would have to do, and agreed to that. I paid for my single fish cake and was pumped to eat it when handed a small box. I headed home once again and made a salad and toasted some bread. I was confused when I opened the box to find two enormous salmon fish cakes. I ate one and saved the second for tomorrow and the salmon was so incredibly delicious. Mixed with potato, and breaded, the fish cake had vinegar and salt sprinkled on top and was so, so tasty and fresh.

Some more photos from my run tonight:


The Old Course.



A rainbow.

Much of this scenery reminds me of the coast of Maine. :)





 
Ohh, and I saw this recently on another blog. I really like it!

 
P.S. I learned recently from my Dad that my beloved bunny June has sadly passed away. June has been featured on this blog before, and while I don't think the photo below does justice to her sweet cuddlyness and the lovely companionship she's provided all of us with over the last seven years, it's the sole photo of her I have with me here on my laptop. It does, however provide a sweet headshot of June, and delivers justice to her regal personality. :)  
 
I did find one other, very Christmas-y. :)
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Liz!!! Scotland looks AMAZING!! I'm glad you are liking it so far! Also I'm sorry to hear about June, she really was a sweetheart!!

    ReplyDelete