Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Family Life

Today has proven to be another fun, exciting, and full day! I slept forever this morning as a treat to myself, and took a journey over to my Dad's cottage in the center of town. It's about a 15-20 minute walk for me, and I was able to meet my Aunt Charlotte, (who is lovely!) my Mum Lizzie, and my Uncle Henry. Lizzie is an American also, and we were both born in Concord, Massachusetts. I know I explained a little bit in a previous post, but academic families here consist of third-year students who choose freshers (first-year students) or study abroad or transfer students to be their academic children. Parents support and guide their children, often hosting dinner parties and tea for their children. Something quite interesting, too, is that when St. Andrews was founded in 1413, academic parents were assigned immediately to new students as mentors. Now, academic parents choose their children, but the tradition continues! The main event in which one's parents are present is Raisin Monday (more on that in November). I met my Dad first, and have been told that I'm very lucky to be his child. (true with my biological Dad, too!) He invited me over this morning for tea. 
 John's (my Dad) cottage is adorable. It was built way, way, back when, and has very short doors, stone handles and wooden doorknobs, a very white old-fashioned kitchen, a curvy staircase, and a creepy stone cellar next door. He lives with my Mum and my Aunt Charlotte. My Mum and him are not dating or married, but are friends who have agreed to share a child. I stayed for a few hours, and it was wonderful spending time with such kind people, or is it family? We are all third-years. The tradition reminds me quite a bit of the community present at Saint Michael's. Everyone here becomes a part of a family, and it's taken quite seriously. At one point, Charlotte asked in her absolutely beautiful british accent, "John, Have you forgotten that your daughter is here?" John quickly pulled out a rectangular box from the fridge labeled 'Fisher and Donaldson's' and opening it to introduce several pastry choices, within was the most delicious piece of pastry I have possibly ever eaten. Called simply a 'fudge doughnut,' Fisher and Donaldson's, a bakery in St. Andrews is supposedly quite known for them. Unlike the chocolate-type of fudge we're familiar with, this fudge doughnut was filled with an enormous amount of rich, vanilla custard in a pastry doughnut with either a light caramel-coffee glaze or perhaps it was a light milk chocolate glaze on top. It was almost like an extraordinarily large Boston Creme (or is it Kreme?) from Dunkin Donuts. It was large and filling and square-like, and so, so good. Neither John or my Aunt would allow me to clean any dishes, and afterwards, John took me to the School of English where I'll have my classes, and found my classrooms for me which was very kind! He's organized a few more events this week for all of his children to meet, (I have recently obtained a brother!) and this Saturday we will all be attending a massive family gathering where I'll meet my siblings on my Mum's side, several more aunts, uncles, and cousins.
 
This evening I went to pick up a bread knife before attending a live music event. I try to maximize my trips into town, even if it means carrying strange items with me when meeting people. The one large knife I have here destroys any and all baguettes or loaves of bread I attempt to use it on, and when purchasing the knife I also picked up a sponge and a small measuring cup. Before paying, I was asked for my ID. I thought it was a bit strange, but didn't say anything. I was reaching for it in my wallet, when my eyes fell upon the sponge. The cashier saw me staring at the sponge and reassured me, "I need your ID for the knife you're trying to buy..." Thankfully, the knife was purchased, but after proving identification, I felt even stranger carrying it around in my purse.
 
At the live music event, I met another American, Isaac, who I really connected with, and when speaking with him, another student came up to us and exclaimed, "Liz! Excellent to see you!" It was my Uncle Henry! He introduced me to a couple of my cousins, it was like a family reunion!
 
 
 

One of the many side streets connecting the three main streets of St. Andrews.

 

sunset.



No idea what this is doing in St. Andrews...but naturally, I loved it!

The Old Course and the infamous stone bridge towards the back.

The Old Course

A gazebo on the sea. Facing the Old Course - off to the left.

The Scores, runs along the sea.


lovely. At dusk on the North Sea.

The school of English, also known as the Castle House or the poetry house.

 

St. Andrews at dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment