Saturday, September 22, 2012

Lately

Greetings!

It's a sunny Saturday morning here with blue skies! I've found the weather here lately has not been fall-ish, but simply a mix of summer and winter depending on the days. The last two weeks have been solely in the 50s and 60s all the time, with some days more summer-like (like today!) with constant sunshine and clear skies. Other days have brought wind, rain and clouds, and feel much more winter-y. I have yet to see any foliage, and am unsure if Scotland receives foliage, or what this country looks like in the autumn months.

Yesterday I didn't have class but for next weeks classes have loads of reading to complete. So far, I've enjoyed the individualistic approach to classes, with less class time and more reading/writing/challenging oneself outside of the classroom. While I'm sure it can vary from person to person, I've heard from Americans studying here (for four years) that the different academic system seems to prepare students more for the workplace, where there is less guidance and more individual thought and performance needed.

I have some overlapping in reading this week as both my classes have assigned the same passage of Virginia Woolf  to analyze (for the Virginia Woolf class, it's a much, much larger portion of reading with the similar passage included within). Both are searching for different themes, so I've been able to view the piece of writing a few different ways which has been interesting.

I've used the library computers which are very nice, and I immediately found they had similar log-in screens to the Saint Michael's library computers. The first few times I entered my Saint Michael's ID log-in out of habit. :) The keyboards, too, are a little different and took getting used to.

I was out visiting my friend Marissa last night which was nice, and have a few things planned for this weekend in between reading and writing. Enjoying the weather today is certainly on the list. :)

I know scones have become a repetitive theme in this blog, but I have one more scone post to fulfill. Yesterday, as a Friday afternoon treat, I purchased a blackberry scone (also known as "the mother of all scones!") from the cafe Gorgeous as a treat. I ate it later in the afternoon with some tea and raspberries once back at my residence.
 After completing photojournalism this past spring, I've really been interested more in photography. While I sadly had to return the giant Saint Michael's Canon camera I used for the spring, I think that nice pictures are possible to be taken on most any camera if skill and precision and proper placing is applied. I took some photos of yesterday's afternoon snack on my windowsill, I find food photography really difficult, but I've enjoyed experimenting with it!





My view from my seat in the library yesterday.

On my walk to Marissa's flat last night. I loved this field, so beautiful and calming, and rural, and Scottish, and look forward to returning in the daylight.







No comments:

Post a Comment