Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Information and General Answers!

If it weren't for my two days left at Cafe Indigo (tomorrow and Friday) packing would be my job by now. Actually, no. The packing and planning has been such a delicate, slow-moving month-long process that not much at all is left. However, sorting through carry-on items, immigration documents, and items in my checked luggage has been the confusion. I'm attempting to pack very lightly, however, packing for an initial four months is challenging to keep light. I will be purchasing several items over there, but am still trying to pack rain gear/all things wool/sweaters/scarves/shoes appropriate for the climate there.

As for General Answers, I've been asked so many questions recently about everything, and thought I'd assemble a small batch of information here!

-I've never been to Scotland before! I have been to London for a few days, and loved that experience. As for budgeting though, I often read about how expensive London is for a day, an evening out, cost of living, etc., and while I plan to visit, I know budgeting will occur. :)

-I am studying at St. Andrews University, and I picked the location and university for a few different reasons. I had been thinking for about eight months that I would love to spend a year or semester in India or somewhere in Africa, particularly South Africa. I looked into several options, and was most interested in pursuing service-learning, where I would be performing service in an environment where I would also be pursuing my studies. However, I realized, that I could perform service anytime in my life internationally. I haven't though, found a way I could spend a year at a university elsewhere at any age. I still am flip-floppish about the decision not to pursue service-learning, and at many points have felt selfish, but I am secure in knowing that the experience I have will be amazing and so worthwhile academically. When I chose to pursue academics, I first looked into York and Oxford in England. While study abroad students have a much lower academic scale to present for admission than four-year students, I still didn't quite meet Oxford's guidelines...not surprising there, it was fun to look into it and weigh my options. Next, I found myself searching in northern England, I had a desire for a rural setting, and kept climbing farther north. While I've always been alright with georgraphy, it somehow didn't hit me that Scotland was connected to and just north of England. Once realized, I looked at rural Scottish schools. St. Andrews was the first I performed research on. The admissions presented a challenge, but I just met it, and a few months later, found myself accepted. I plan to study literature and writing, but none of my classes (modules) are confirmed.

-As a funny side note, the most common comment I receive when one asks where I am studying is the Prince William (and his lovely wife Kate Middleton) connection. In truth, I did not know either attended St. Andrews until after I had applied. While I did watch their wedding, and admire them both, it was not a deciding moment for the school for me, and I did not seek out the school because of the connection. Rather, it's a fun fact.

-I will be cooking for myself, and am not entirely sure what I'll be eating yet, as a somewhat-mostly-vegetarian, I am open to fish, but think I might shy away from haggis.

-I will be living on campus, but do have a host family weekend in late September. Initially, I was informed that my host family could be anywhere in England or Scotland. This caused a lot of creativity from my Dad (and serious laughing on my part) about the possibilities of Elton John, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Rowan Atkinson, or Queen Elizabeth driving to pick me up for a host family weekend. Later, I was told the family would be a Scottish family, not an English family. :)

-As for fears, I feel confident about everything over there, and am just excited to get going. Instead, my most immediate concerns are passing through immigration, somehow losing important documents, or finding myself lost during my 6 hour layover in New York or 4.5 hour layover in London.

-Lastly, I do know that Scotland is rainy. And cold. And windy. I've heard wonderful, wonderful comments about the area, the small town of St. Andrews, the lovely golf course, the cliffs overlooking the North Sea, the ocean air, but also have heard about the fierce wind, the constant rain, the dampness, the cold, and in November and December, the common darkness and shadows.

As for other events, yesterday my Grampy (my Dad's father) turned 81! Grampy is such a positive, hilarious, and fun guy, he's also a big fan of polar bears, which I find wonderful and lovable. In the past, I've made homemade polar bear cards, and this year, I had fun finding this photo on google, it makes me smile and think of my grandfather.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment