Monday, September 10, 2012

Lately

I really am enjoying everything here and settling in quite nicely. The Hall I live in is enormous, and is made up of about 500 single rooms each with a bathroom which is nice. I use a kitchen next door that should be shared by seven others, but as of now, it is only myself and two male sophomore year medical students. They are very, very quiet. I've met wonderful friends though, and have observed that the Scottish seem to be friendlier than the English. Of course this varies I'm sure, but it's proven true here.

This morning I was able to attend an introductory school of English presentation. It is one of the largest schools here, and we were told much of St. Andrews English students are either infatuated with old Anglo-Saxon English, or aspiring poets and authors. I'm not sure exactly which route I'll take. I hope to take creative writing (an extremely popular course) and perhaps a literature class, with the latter placing me in the old Anglo-Saxon English group. I know my classes will be challenging, as many of the freshers come from competitive educational backgrounds whether from a U.K. boarding school, an Asian background, or from private secondary schools in the U.S. However, I know I'll figure things out, and I'm looking forward to jumping in. :) My classes will be confirmed today.
The relationship with professors is quite different here, as well. I likely will be in large classes taught by a professor who might be traveling or at St. Andrews for a short time, and is likely an active scholar and I'm sure quite intelligent! We are not advised to ask questions or interact with the professor during our modules, (classes) and when addressing a professor through e-mail or in person must maintain a very formal address. Coming from Saint Michael's, this is very different! St. Andrew though, does advise students to speak with secretaries often and whenever we would like. Many of them are Scottish women and are very, very friendly and determined to helping and offering any and all assistance.

While the town here is extraordinarily student-heavy, the year-round residents seem to be a large demographic of very elderly, traditional Scottish men and women. Many were seen out and about yesterday after and before church, and I've seen many often stop at the cafes lining the streets to pet the dozens of small dogs all around. This morning, I walked through an argument taking place on the sidewalk between two elderly Scottish neighbors. The accents are so heavy.
I usually walk in town at least twice a day, it's a little over a mile one way and has provided great exercise.

While St. Andrews is free for all Scottish students to attend, British students just recently began paying about 9000 pounds per year to attend. Rather than the U.S. when everything is included in a very high university fee, here the use of the gym costs money, team sports cost quite a bit, and clubs and societies cost a few pounds for a year. I wasn't planning on beginning golf here despite it being the birthplace. Certainly there are tourist golfers around, and the Old Course is beautiful. While it is a somewhat woman's sport here, the Golf Club here, called the Royal and Ancient abides by the traditional rules of golf and women are forbidden from entering the building. I'm curious if it's man cave-like inside.

Language is a bit different here, too. Everything is understandable, and when I speak, I still have my American accent, but when thinking of what to say or what to type here, I have this strange ringing of accents in my head. Speech is much more proper, and last night our hall was instructed to cheer at a large meeting by the words, 'Please, let us have a cheer!" Each hall here is very involved in hall spirit. We have traditional colors for the halls, and often compete with other halls in various competitions. There are about 12ish halls in all. Mainly freshers live in the halls, while second, third and fourth year students must be recommended by the university after their first year to be permitted to live in a flat downtown. There are no RA's or resident assistants here, but wardens instead. Initially, it sounded a bit like a prison term. :) Rather, wardens are older students who do not live on your floor or watch over you but simply govern the building, plan activities, and they do live in the building. The policy on alcohol here is very different too, and quite enjoyable. There are no restrictions, and this week, small glasses of wine have been given out for free every night. One must clean up completely after their self, and while students drink alcohol, it's much, much less and more controlled than U.S. colleges. One can drink anywhere, but fewer drink in rooms, but in our kitchens or at pubs downtown, it's much more social and less running from the law:)

No comments:

Post a Comment