Monday, August 27, 2012

Recent Thoughts, Life Lately, The Grand Old Party, and Music.



            As many may or may not be aware, I’m not the most athletically gifted person, nor am I too into heights, drops, or extreme things, but wave jumping, I say to myself whenever near an ocean, is one of my favorite activities ever. Despite living a mere hour from it, as of Saturday, I hadn’t seen the ocean in five months. Much of the summer I was experiencing ocean cravings. Yesterday, this all changed! My mom and I chose to head to the infamous 18-mile NH seacoast, and met up with her close friend Addie and part of her family. They were so kind in allowing us to spend time at their near-ocean home, and we were able to walk on over to the coast. After some chit-chat and a long walk, it was time to jump waves. While I tend to find myself to be a solo wave jumper, (not by choice) it was fun to be joined by Addie’s adult daughter Lindsey who was equally passionate about the sport. As my wave jumping skills were somewhat rusty, (I had previously gone extreme wave jumping back in March…) it took some time to get back in the game. While I usually wave-jump until I’ve been plunged under too forcefully several times and  emerge with kelp on my head (this unfortunately happened several times during my March wave jumping…) yesterday’s wave jumping was much more mild. Not wearing appropriate wave jumping clothing, after my first unintentional plunge under, it was time to finish the wave jumping season.  

            Today (Monday) was my last day with the lovely women of philanthropy (and public affairs!) at Concord Hospital. I’ve worked both this summer and last summer periodically there and I have such fun memories of the office environment, laughing too much, and two summers of driving/co-driving the beverage cart at an annual golf tournament Concord Hospital sponsors to raise money for different departments/technology for the hospital. The women there and the work has given me a wonderful view into what I would like to do, and what I look for in working for and with a non-profit in the future.

            As for the Grand Old Party, I don’t mean for this blog to become a political battlefield, and while I am passionate about democracy, politics, and government, I don’t see this as being the place for it. However, this past year has proven to be an enormous year for politics. While I believe in a two-party system, I see the GOP as continuing to drift, and currently at such a turning point. While I can’t say I identify as conservative, I know the importance of understanding and respecting each view point, and could not dislike another because of their views – whether political or religious – unless others are being harmed through those views. I do believe though, that for the GOP to survive and succeed in the future, the mobilization of younger Republicans is crucially needed. I see Republican candidates continuing to appeal to older voters and wealthier voters specifically. While the economy, jobs, and government spending must be a priority for both parties, the social issues preached by the Republican party continue to be beliefs and values closely held by older Americans. The young Republicans I have met have a commitment to the party’s economic priorities but rarely have I found they hold the same views as their own grandparents in regards to women’s rights and gay marriage. Of course there are exceptions though. With that being said, I’ll insert some of my own personal views and ask, why can’t ‘gay marriage’ simply be called and referred to as ‘marriage?’

            In all things musical, I’ve been listening to a lot of Bruce Springsteen lately, and this past spring discovered a bit of new music. Earlier this year, I was faced several times with what appeared to be endless hours of journalism. Sometimes the projects were 12+ hours, other times they were 8+ but each one I survived! While many of them were certainly challenging and there were tough days, I found escaping into a song for two or three minutes was amazing and relaxing, and I hope to continue this method when stressed in the future. While they’re mostly classics, my rotating favorites became Buffalo Springfield’s For What it’s Worth, The Band’s The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, The Decemberists June Hymn,  a bunch of Judy Collins, and Neil Young’s Harvest Moon.
In closing, a photo of tonight's (Monday, August 27, 2012) sky from New Hampshire.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment