Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Transition & Succulents

I began work yesterday and through new colleagues and activities in the evenings, I'm feeling like I'm really getting to know Monterey Bay! The transition here has been unlike any before, it's most similar to college, but so different as I'm not surrounded by peers also looking to make friends. I've realized how much I love having people around and how important it is that I get involved where I can and meet people. So far, so good. 


I recently moved to Pebble Beach (temporarily) and found the microclimates I'd heard about in this region are true! Pebble Beach is very close to the ocean and foggy nearly all day, and usually between 57 and 61 degrees day and night. Each evening when I've traveled a mile or two inland though, it's sunny and warm and the socks and sweaters are removed! I've been assured by many that September and October will bring summer and that this is the foggiest and chilliest time of year.

Before I left Santa Cruz over the weekend I visited one more Redwood forest (Henry Cowell) after visiting the Big Basin forest the day before. The height of the trees and the amount of shade they provided amazed me.

 I was referred to the amazing Succulent Gardens greenhouse in the town of Moss Landing (great name!), which might best be described as a football field-sized greenhouse of succulents and cacti. I bought a few little succulents and loved seeing so many different varieties of the plants.


Flowers in Pacific Grove last night and street scene in Monterey this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment