Friday, July 29, 2016

Writing, Redwoods, & History

I've heard it said so many times that writing is a muscle. I haven't always believed it, but it's true! The more you do it, the easier it becomes. I've struggled to find a place for this blog in post-college life. Selecting a direction and theme and pursuing it was harder than I thought. Traveling has helped, as has sharing poetry or photography or nature. California though, has sort of been the jolt, the re-entry into wanting to observe, write and share.

This morning I ventured north to Big Basin Redwoods State Park. The roads to the park were so curvy and the trees seemed to grow taller and taller. Since I was solo, I found a one mile hike and found so much peace and serenity in the forest.


As I walk from place to place here, I see so many flowers and plants that I recall the names of from childhood, remembering my Mom teaching me about them. As comforting as it is to weave those memories into life here, I seem to see twice as many plants I've never seen before! The flowers are gorgeous but the many succulent plants growing out of the ground might be the current favorite.  

Santa Cruz, tonight.

I'm hesitant to discuss or write about politics for so many reasons this election, most of all because it feels as if in this moment there is so much hate and distrust and disagreements on both sides of the aisle. While I do lean to one side politically and am quietly passionate about issues of equal rights and inclusion, I don't want to be writing about or weighing in on individual candidates. Rather, like so many women (and men) this week, I was inspired to see the first presidential nomination of a woman to a major political party. However you feel about the individual, it's an exciting time for equal rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment