Monday, August 8, 2016

Saying Yes

California is feeling right. The first week of work went so quickly and the first weekend has gone even quicker. In meeting new people and adjusting to a new environment, there's been growth and happiness in embracing each change. Saying yes to everything (or as much as possible), embracing spontaneity, and living in the moment has felt like the best decision.

I turned 24 a few days ago and was pleasantly surprised at how fun the day was with new friends. Before the sun set, I headed out to the coast in Pebble Beach and enjoyed the peacefulness of the deserted beaches.

(Earlier in the evening I took a nature walk and marveled at the large pinecones!)

   
An ocean selfie to remember what turning 24 looked and felt like. It was and remains very happy.

There are so many deer here. I've seen 2-3 a day the last week but today set a record with five, including one with antlers! They all have big ears and are a bit larger than the deer I saw in the east. I recently learned they're not hunted here which explains their abundance. Most of the time I see them on the roads in the Del Monte Forest, always taking their time. The other day though, there were two in downtown Monterey among the many homes. A smaller one was climbing a set of stone steps to a front door while it's parent or guardian spent some time camouflage in this wood pile. 

             

I visited my brother and his girlfriend in Berkeley over the weekend. The trip was a little over two hours each way and immediately brought my back to driving across the country with my Mom a few weeks ago. I hadn't been in a car for that long since, and getting gas for the first time in a week or so brought me back to purchasing it at least once daily for 11 days. The time spent there was so fun and the food delicious. The drive is also quite nice, spanning multiple microclimates and filled with agricultural fields and hills. 
Berkeley.


No comments:

Post a Comment