Monday, August 15, 2016

Familiarity

Four or five nights ago, I was falling asleep and suddenly thought "I know what I'm doing here, I have friends and a group of people I know. It's easy to get around and I like living and working here." It's true. The fluency of life here improves every week, but in the most basic sense, I've reached a point of comfort, knowledge and enjoyment in everyday. There's still plenty more discovery ahead, but in finding a routine and friends and activities I enjoy, the familiar has returned.

Walking through Pacific Grove last week.

Most mornings in Pebble Beach look like this, but this one a few days ago looked particularly mystical. The air was also very smoky this day from the wildfire, thinking this might be a mix of fog and smoke.

   
Deer are everywhere here! Day and night they graze at this sports field, though they don't stick around when teams try to share the field.

Summertime is nearly permanently foggy close to the coast, but a few late afternoons have shown some sun! Taken on separate days around the same time. Hit or miss!

 I had such a nice time this weekend visiting my friend Zoe from Scotland in Palo Alto where she lives now. She's a wonderful and fun friend and we had a great time catching up and exploring. We headed to Santa Cruz for the day on Saturday and enjoyed walking the boardwalk and along the ocean and seeing UC Santa Cruz's gorgeous ocean views.

It was probably the sun, bright blue sky and comfortable temperature, but I visited and left Stanford thinking it was most beautiful campus I'd ever seen.



No comments:

Post a Comment