Monday, August 12, 2013

Middlebury, Vermont

Hello again.

Everything in the past week has been so busy. Preparations for the academic year, ending an internship (although I will return part-time throughout the school year), and fulfilling a few end-of-summer travels have kept life exciting. Despite the great chaos, I was so pleased last week to make it to Middlebury, Vermont to visit my friend Marissa. Marissa and I met at St. Andrews last September and were close throughout the year. She was my closest American friend and we both love that we were considered related as 'academic cousins'. Together in Scotland, we talked and bonded over everything, and the beauty of the rural evening walks I took between my residence and her flat I think will always stay with me.
This was us last October. 
 ...and again in February, with my friend, Katie. 

I've been interning this summer in the capital city of Vermont, Montpelier, located in the central part of the state. Middlebury, a beautiful college town is located on the western side of the state, not far from the New York state line. I planned to drive from Montpelier to Middlebury and had two options for the journey there. I could drive north on the interstate to Burlington, the largest city in Vermont and where I attend school, and then drive south from there. That trip was 74 or 75 miles and an hour 25 minutes. On a map, it looks a bit like an upside down 'V'. My second option would be to drive for 50 miles at 1 hour 26 minutes. I was attracted to the 50 miles but also realized that to reach Middlebury, I would need to drive through a mountain range, the Green Mountain National Forest.

I departed work promptly at 4:30 and headed north on the interstate before beginning the trek through the small towns. Once off the highway, farm after farm passed by, and when I stopped to buy a bottle of water at one point, I felt very conscious that I didn't fit in too well in the tiny town. Shortly after, my GPS signaled for an abrupt downhill. I slowed down quickly (although perhaps not quickly enough) as the road was far more rural than I expected and the short hill was a steep downhill. Immediately, my GPS directed that I drive for 20 miles on the road. And it began. I had incorrectly imagined that driving through a mountain range would involve weaving around mountains in a comfortable and beautiful valley. Rather, I drove over the mountains. The road winded and climbed upwards immediately and large signs signaled that the road was closed to trucks in the winter. I drove higher and higher and thought of my gas mileage going farther on the flat, 74 mile route. But it was too late to change, and the views were beautiful. I pulled over at this overlook and joined other tourists in marveling at and photographing the view.

From here, the road was downhill. Once I neared the end of the range, the small towns returned and I resumed to flat roads.

The arrival in Middlebury was exciting. The town is calm, quaint and small and the weather that evening was beautiful.


I met Marissa at a restaurant along the river (appropriately named The Middlebury River) and we had such a nice evening. We talked about everything and it was great to connect again after a few months apart. We had so much fun and the laughter was constant. Later, she introduced me to her Mom before I began the (flat) journey northward to Burlington.

No comments:

Post a Comment