Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Afghan Poetry

Hello Again.

I'm currently visiting my brother on the west coast and blogging from his computer.
I read the article below during my flight yesterday and found it compelling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/19/world/asia/an-afghan-poet-shapes-metal-and-hard-words.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Afghanistan has interested me in recent years in its history, religion, trade, laws, current status as a (nearly) failed state, and rich background in poetry.

A few of my favorite lines from the article:

“This is my life, what you see here: banging iron, cutting it short, making it long,” he said. “I still don’t call myself a poet.” 

'There is something else, which even the plain-spoken Mr. Turab seemed reluctant to confess: He is nearly illiterate. Though he can, with difficulty, read printed copy, he can neither write nor read the handwriting of others, he said. He constructs his poetry in his head, relying on memory to retain it and others to record it.'


'The dirt road outside his shop runs all the way to Pakistan, and its traffic is an economic lifeline. Vendors line the highway, selling everything from snow to keep the blistering heat at bay to seasonal fruit. Periodically a convoy of American vehicles passes, breaking the spell of an otherwise Afghan scene.'
“Sometimes I’m amazed that things aren’t falling apart,” he said, clasping his hands together as he reflected on years of war and foreign presence here. “But then I realize there is a social law here that holds the country together, even if there is no governmental law.”
'Though he has been critical of the American occupation, he does note the progress that has come with it: roads, electricity and schools. It is other parts of the Western legacy in Afghanistan that he worries about.'
“Democracy will hurt and eliminate our tribal laws,” he said. “The medicine prescribed by democracy was not suitable for this society’s sickness.”

No comments:

Post a Comment