Monday, April 29, 2013

The Revising has Begun

Hello again.
All is continuing to go so well here. The two-week revision period has begun and while prepping for exams is certainly a full-time job, I've found in both semesters spent here, I do prefer the more rigid U.K. examination schedule. I've never experienced a revision period (days without classes before the exams) in the U.S. besides the weekend before finals - certainly not two weeks! While the examinations here are weighty at 50% of the grade and occur in large lecture halls with ten million other students, I do prefer this system to the stress of projects, papers and exams occurring simultaneously with the end of the semester.

I submitted a few pieces of writing to a literary magazine earlier today for their May 1st deadline. I've found creative expression through writing to be so calming.

I visited the Botanical Gardens again this afternoon and fought some mighty wind on my way there. I had never before actually been physically moved by the wind...it was slightly frightening.

Once I entered this trail though on my way to the gardens, the wind died down.
The time spent in the gardens was a beautiful escape from technology, sound and people and a relaxing hour spent with some tropical plants. :)

In my remaining weeks here, I've found myself spending more time with friends, having deeper and longer conversations, and enjoying all I can of St. Andrews, Scotland, and the United Kingdom.
I'm trying to learn from everyday and live for every moment. I want to continue to better myself, and while this year has certainly challenged me and stretched me, it's taught me so much and forced me to grow and become who I want to be. I've also been listening to plenty of Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen lately and striving to be truly happy in myself. 

I wish to note too, while the elegant and classy fashions and attire of the British (and the students of St. Andrews in particular) have represented a wonderful culture of tradition and a part of life that I've enjoyed taking part in this year - I am SO READY to wear tee shirts and birkenstocks upon return to New England. Maybe even some tie dye. I also told a few kitchenmates last week as we simultaneously made our dinners that upon return to 'America' I was most looking forward to gazing upon large fields of sunshine and cows. I'm not exactly sure why I said that but I cannot deny the truth in it. :)

Ohh and one more thing. I was writing about this the other day, but I realized recently that while I feel extraordinarily fortunate to have spent a year at the University of St. Andrews - a British University consistently on par with or slightly below Oxbridge, I feel just as fortunate (if not more so) to be receiving my degree from Saint Michael's College, a small liberal arts college in the green mountains of Vermont, a place I have forever felt at home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment