Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Isle of Skye, Part II

Hi again.

I've enjoyed a wonderful past few days here. I went for an hour-long walk on the beach this morning and it was so peaceful. Last week I had been feeling strangely ready to leave St. Andrews. Most of my friends were busy revising and studying, I had started to plan for the summer and fall, found my bank account was no longer where it once was, and I've just found everything has been winding down. I began to feel like I had gotten everything out of St. Andrews and studying abroad, but just as I accepted that I was leaving, the last few days have been incredible and so fun. I've laughed so much with friends and enjoyed every moment. Once again, I'm now struggling with leaving. While I still have three weeks in the Kingdom of Fife, tomorrow morning I'll complete my last class at St. Andrews. I'll save all of the reminiscing for a later post, but it's unbelievable how fast this year has passed.

So, Skye!

We arrived and enjoyed a dinner of baked fish, potatoes and vegetables and most of us walked around the coast of Broadford, the town where we stayed.

We stayed in a hostel and I shared a room with four other girls.
Later in the evening after a day of bus-riding, I brought a book, notebook and pen and walked down this path to sit near the sea.
 
The next morning we all headed to the ruins of a nearby castle.

The castle once belonged to a clan and fell to ruins when the clan broke apart.



 
The gardens and trees surrounding the castle were so unique and beautiful. While most plants were not in bloom, the grounds reminded me of summer in New Hampshire. 


 

I spent much of the weekend with my friend Shaunna. I didn't know Shaunna too well previously, she's been at St. Andrews for the semester and as I got to know her in Skye I found so many similarities between her and my friend Allison from last semester. Shaunna and I talked about so many different things, and it was wonderful getting to know her. We took the following photos on this giant log we found. Nobody was around so we set the timer for my camera but it was a bit confusing at times, as the pictures show. :)

 

 
We stopped for lunch later at a local co-op and embarked on a bus tour around the island.
 
We stopped at these beautiful cliffs, despite the extreme wind!

It was a struggle.





This waterfall too was gorgeous.


Much of the island was very rural. Most residents are farmers and sheep were everywhere.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment