Monday, June 9, 2014

Walking Quietly, Searching Openly

Travel seems to cause me to remember. Unexpected moments examining direction and past experience have been common lately as life has changed rapidly. I've thought often of the vast inequality in opportunity, wealth distribution, and access to safe water and life saving remedies dividing vast chunks of the world. I wonder sometimes how each of us can best use our time to benefit others and our surroundings. Like many (recent) college graduates, I've wondered too how my education can be put to its best use in benefiting others. It was in this light that I began to examine my time at Saint Michael's and St. Andrews, the opportunities both institutions granted me at that moment, but also what opportunities lie ahead, and how best I can use them in realizing what life can produce. 

My last days in Scotland were filled with so many people and laughs. Friends were finishing exams with celebrations. I felt at home during my stay, but at a comfortable distance too, knowing that I was back in a place that taught me more than any other setting, a place where I grew and changed, yet a place that didn't hold my future, instead holding people and places I deeply cared for.

Newcastle, England from train

Dundee, Scotland

A few friends and I attended an Art and Design show of final year students at a University in Dundee. We weren't able to see every exhibit, but the ones we wandered through were impressive.

Textile Design presentation


Dundee, Scotland

Miriam, Christina and Thalia in the distance, textile presentation

I didn't play any golf this trip (or really, ever), but watching golfers on the Old Course in St. Andrews remained just as quiet and peaceful as I had remembered.

St. Mary's College, St. Andrews




Botanical gardens, St. Andrews

School of Philosophy, St. Andrews


Charlotte and I 

10 p.m., the North Sea


And then I headed west. Since returning, I've thought of the opportunity and ability for change and growth, realizing that along with opportunity, it lies all around us.



No comments:

Post a Comment