Sunday, June 1, 2014

Durham, England

A little over two weeks ago, I took a 7:23 a.m. train from St. Andrews to Edinburgh. Once in Scotland's capital city, I boarded a 9:00 a.m. express train south, bound for London, with stops in England's major cities. After an hour and a half of travel, we arrived in Durham, a city of roughly 200,000 in England's north east. I made the trip on my own, with plans to visit my friend Zoe, a psychology student at the University of Durham that afternoon. The train journey south was full of blue skies and yellow fields of rapeseed flowers. I had brought books but found that the view from the window was too distractingly beautiful. The books were never opened.

Saturday, May 18th, near St. Andrews, Scotland. Yellow fields of rapeseed flowers in bloom in the distance.


North of Edinburgh, looking out towards the North Sea. I had tried to capture this church before through photographs on train journeys, but had never been this successful. :)

Crossing the Firth of Forth, Scotland

an island below the Firth of Forth rail bridge.

England.

Passing through Newcastle, England, a city north of Durham.

From the Durham train station, looking towards the city.

Once at Durham's train station, I knew I had arrived in the right place. A city built upon hills, from the train station (a ten minute walk from the city center), I could see the Durham cathedral and castle, two beautiful medieval buildings. As the day unfolded (it also happened to be the warmest day for Durham in 2014, thus far!), I found Durham to be one of the most beautiful and quaintest parts of England I had ever visited.

Arriving in a new city with plenty of time on a beautiful day encouraged me to explore and enjoy. I followed signs and listened to those around me, hoping to be quietly immersed in the surroundings. Shortly after reaching the city, I found this river walk running along the River Wear. Ducks walked the banks of the river.


Soon afterwards, I found the center of town, where both a farmer's market and flea market were occurring.
I wandered and reflected and thought with a glass of fresh orange juice. 

I continued to walk, finding Saturday yard sales and people everywhere, students and families and individuals enjoying the warm weather. I found the university and the cathedral, and was so pleased to find that the cathedral was free to enter and explore.


the River Wear.


the Cathedral cloisters.

The Cathedral reminded me a bit of Westminster Abbey meets the set of Downton Abbey (England's Highclere Castle). 

While photography was not permitted in the cathedral, it was so, so beautiful. Once a Catholic cathedral, the space now belongs to the Church of England, but is one of the most intact religious buildings to have survived the reformation. 

Due to a high volume of photos, I shall continue this post soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment