Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Images and Words

Tonight as I filled in upcoming commitments, due dates and appointments in my agenda/calendar book, I reached the no-man's-land of mid-May. Turing the page to the week after graduation was a blank slate. It was frightening. The fright didn't arise because the page was a blank slate -- the empty pages were a nice change for my eyes, actually -- but that so much of my life right now feels defined by the next six (or is it seven?) weeks. The thesis. The final creative writing portfolio. The interviews and phone calls and travel. The plans. The excitement. I want to say I'm looking forward to graduation, but I'm looking forward to today and tomorrow and the moments in between more. The same ideas and emotions and experiences of last spring in Scotland are coming back. It's in realizing that I must leave a moment in time that I love. Yet it's in this process that I know that I must live in the present. "Am I excited to graduate?" has been a frequent question recently. I feel comfortable and confident to enter the world beyond, but in doing so, I've realized that I can never return to today and yesterday and tomorrow. What else defines life though? We can never return to last year or the year before, or five years before that. And I'm not upset about that. I'm pleased with where I am. I hope I always am.

I'm on my spring break this week. It's dominated mostly by working on my thesis (I really like writing it and I'm almost there!) with quite a bit of family time and outdoor adventures in between.  Lately, flowers have also played a recurring theme. 

At the Boston flower show, Saturday, March 15th.



Old Mill, the University of Vermont, March 10th.

I interviewed the Burlington mayor last week (March 10th) for my thesis, I was pretty nervous...

but not as nervous as I was for an interview with WCAX that evening…

I wore these new TJ Maxx shoes for both though, I think everything worked out well.



No comments:

Post a Comment