Monday, June 3, 2013

Life in Vermont

Greetings!
(As a side note, unfortunately my laptop/internet connection hasn't been cooperating lately, so this post will be solely text as I'm unable to add pictures).
All is well! And very busy.
I began work in the communications/external community affairs department at Blue Cross Blue Shield Vermont last Tuesday and I've loved the position. My co-workers are so friendly and kind. Last Thursday night we all went out together after work and there was so much laughter.
Most days I write articles for magazines distributed to BCBSVT employees, health care providers, and members, in addition to editing, being at BCBSVT sponsored community events and spending a chunk of time on email. I've loved being in the middle of the Green Mountains, too. :)

It was nice to visit one of my best friends, Katie at Saint Michael's late last week. It was such a hot stretch (90 degrees/32 degrees Celsius if any lone U.K. readers remain!) of days, but it was wonderful to be with friends on campus. There was an obscene amount of laughter.

I went home to New Hampshire for the weekend, too, which was so busy. The warm stretch continued, but it was beautiful to kayak on Saturday with my Mom on the lake and attend a family gathering on Sunday. :)

My living situation in Northfield, Vermont is in a beautiful setting. The mountains are gorgeous. I'm up and out most mornings around 7, and while the sun rises closer to 5, the lingering low sun and foggy mornings out here are beautiful for my morning commute through tiny rural towns. This evening, I fed one of the four black angus cows residing behind the house two overripe bananas. Supposedly cows go for the full banana. She reached out her long tongue and grabbed both bananas from me so quickly. The scent of the white lilacs here are beautiful as well. My tall rubber rain boots have already come in handy as well with the ultra long grass, swampy spots and treks through the yard. :)

I'm looking forward to five more days at work (I'll be working for BCBSVT at a 5k on Saturday) and the excitement it all holds. As tired as I am some evenings (I feel as if the four hours per week of classes at St. Andrews didn't quite prepare me for a full-time internship), I've loved everything I'm learning, those I interact with, and the effects I hope the writing can hold. If my internet connection/laptop issues improve, I'll certainly post some green-sunny-mountainous-cow photos of rural Vermont. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment