Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Photos from Vermont and Writing

A few photos from the past week and some writing below!
Pupil the cow. Right before I fed her one of her favorite snacks, two unpeeled bananas.

Dying white lilacs.

After the bananas.


Stream. And my shadow.

New Hampshire over the weekend.

View from my desk at work last Wednesday morning. Fog rolling in off the green mountains.
 
Everything is well! I was at work much later than usual tonight as it feels like there are an abundance of articles to write, but I really enjoy the work. Today a celebratory local Vermont lunch was brought in for BCBSVT as the company as recently voted 'Best Place to Work in Vermont'! While it was a bit of a colder day, it was sunny and beautiful outside when I drove home. I'm not always a huge fan of my 35 minute commute through three tiny towns on a mix of dirt and paved roads, sharp turns and passing 'Slaughter House Road' twenty minutes into the drive, but today I found myself loving the mountain views, the farm stands, winery, the copper-colored calf I see each morning and evening, the gold dome of the Vermont state house visible down in Montpelier right as I leave work, the white churches and meeting houses in the center of Northfield with American flags hanging from each telephone pole, and the green scenery in every direction. When I arrived in Northfield, Mrs. Murphy and I ate a quick dinner which ended with a bowl of raspberries before tackling some serious tree cutting. We walked far out into the forest, into reaches and tree densities that I didn't know existed. I was thankful I had changed out of my work clothes and now wore tall rubber boots and cloth pants. I carried a pair of clippers or scissors that were as long as my leg, and cut away at baby evergreen tree which interfere with her metal fence line that keep her four angus cows (Pupil, Java, New Moon, and Obsidian) from escaping into the wilds of Vermont. We worked for about an hour straight, and while it wasn't too hot, the mosquitos chased after us. The sun had set by 8:30 and we squeezed past rows of trees to walk back through an open field with knee-high grass. The pink sky bordered on the mountains beyond and we walked back home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment