Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Images of St. Andrews

Greetings! Today has been a beautiful day with warm temperatures and blue skies. I had a lovely lunch with my friend Connor and was in for a huge surprise when I went to the School of English to pick up a recent essay. I jogged there, as it's on my jogging route, and stopped here and there to take a few of the below pictures, but planned on taking more pictures as I walked back with my essay in hand. I had set my expectations at the lowest grade above passing, honestly preparing to not earn the grades that I've earned in the U.S. I had worked hard on the essay, but much of Creative Writing continues to baffle me. During our workshops, my work on poetry is always off, and I've never received verbal positivity ever about anything I've written. I've grown comfortable with needing to share it, but then need to develop a thick enough skin once having read it. It's a cycle, but I know I'm learning from it. I picked up my essay and didn't want to see the grade immediately in the school office where I grabbed it. I sheilded the bunch of paperclipped papers below my waist deciding I would check the essay grade once outside where I could hide the essay and take pictures walking back to my residence. When I did check the grade moments later, I immediately said "Whoa...." outloud and had to re-check it a few times. I somehow earned the equivalent of a high A/low A+ which continues to shock me. The marks from my tutor and another anonymous tutor who read the essay were wonderful, and provided great feedback. I read the comments over and over and a few bits of the essay on the walk back, forgetting to take the pictures. However, below are a few I did take this morning and afternoon, and over the last few days:


It was quite rainy here the other day, the photo doesn't work too well, but this bush was laced with raindrop-infused spiderwebs.

My feet this morning near some cobblestone I walk on everyday.





lovely hydrangeas and ivy.

The Old Course this afternoon, it was so bright:)

near the Old Course, looking out to the sea.

I'm baking some surprise desserts this weekend for my academic family for Raisin Weekend, I think these eggs I picked up today were very fresh!
 
Lastly, I really loved this video about 'first world problems'. I first heard the term this summer and find it pretty neat, it really just refers to 'problems' we may think we have in our own daily lives (food being too cold, laptop not working, water bottles that are so filled with water they become cumbersome to carry) ...that last one is an original from me...I tend to fill up my large water bottle in the morning before trekking into town/the library/classes. Anyway! The video certainly makes you think and be thankful. Please enjoy!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment