Monday, October 8, 2012

A few more photos...

After yesterday's mile-long post (in the words of my Mom!), here are a few photos from last week and a couple more from the weekend:
I enjoyed the sunshine in St. Salvatore's quad between classes and trips to the library last week.


 

I met up with the libertarian society again (more about the libertarian society and that choice is covered in a recent post...) for a pub night. Just about all of my academic family attended which was very fun and exciting. Nothing politics-like was discussed. We went to a couple different pubs along the golf course. As it was Thursday night and the first night of the Alfred Dunham Links Championship here which lasted over the weekend, I was half-hoping Michael Phelps (who partook in the tournament) would walk into the pubs we were at any moment. Sadly, that never happened.
The lit up building above is the Royal and Ancient golf club. Only men are permitted inside and it's quite exclusive, dating back as an all men's golf club since 1754. I run often near there as it is a pretty area on the golf course, and there are a few guards stationed outside of it. I think they're there to keep women out.
Fun fact: The current dean/president of the University, President and Vice Chancellor Louise Richardson was appointed here three years ago as the first female president/vice chancellor of the University. Past principals of the University have been given an open invitation to join the golf club. While the current principal never received an invitation three years ago, the topic of if she should be granted membership is still debated and discussed here. While I don't feel extraordinarily strong to one side of the argument, and know nothing about golf, I think my favorite quote from this telegraph article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/4526884/Alex-Salmond-urges-Royal-and-Ancient-Golf-Club-to-admit-first-female-member.html) urging for her invitation is:
 'It's more than 500 years since Mary Queen of Scots become the first woman to tee off at the home of golf, but it seems that the Royal and Ancient is still stuck in the middle ages.' 
 
And lastly, a few other photos from the weekend:
 
Myself and my friend David atop a castle.

Kimberlee, myself, and Katie deep within the woods!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment