Saturday, October 27, 2012

Images from Crail and Anstruther

Hello!

Yesterday Allison and I ventured to the fishing villages of Crail and Anstruther by bus. I had been a couple weeks earlier with Lydia, but it was wonderful to go again and explore corners of each town I hadn't seen (and of course eat some fish and chips...).
It was a cold but extraordinarily beautiful day. The sky matched the sea, and the sunshine was wonderful. I was hoping to continue on to Pittenweem later that day (a village past Anstruther) but the weather quickly turned and the bus to Pittenweem was delayed.

While bus photos are seldom good photos, and very hard to take, this church is between St. Andrews and Crail, I'd say about 4-5 miles from both, and each time I pass it on the bus, I think it is incredibly beautiful. It overlooks the sea and is so isolated.


In Crail.

Allison!

myself. I bought those black rubber boots quite cheaply here and I was so happy I was wearing them as I was later attacked by some ocean waves!

A cemetary, the Church of Scotland, and a bit of foliage in Crail.

Houses in Crail. These towns feel so Mediterranean/Greek with the white-washed houses.
Quite blurry, but I love this image.

A park in Crail.


The bus we hopped on to Anstruther was a double decker bus, while usually I shy away from the top deck as I'm often concerned about my motion sickness, we were just travelling a few miles, so Allison and I headed up there. We sat in the front row behind an enormous window and the views were beautiful. The ride was definitely bumpy, but so worth it. This scene is so typical in Scotland. Everywhere in the countryside tan hay is rolled up. In trips in any direction in Scotland, these fields and familiar scenes are everwhere.

cabbage I think, and the sea from the top deck of the bus!

looking out into the road, headed towards Anstruther.


This felt a bit like how I would imagine the American midwest.


Once in Anstruther, Allison and I explored this beach and I collected a nice amount of seaglass. The sea looks calm, but this was where a large wave snuck up on me and my ankles:)

In Anstruther.


Out on the pier.

Allison is from Portland, Oregon and we often discuss differences and similarities between our two homes, it was at the moment when this picture was taken she was saying how she would like to visit Maine someday. My response was something along the lines of where we were and what we were surrounded by reminded me a lot of Maine in the summer.





When I returned to my residence, I had a nice halloween card from my parents awaiting me. When Lydia visited she bought a pumpkin hoping to cook with it, but unfortuantely it didn't happen, and it's paired with the card on my halloween-themed windowsill. :)
 
 
While a bit off-topic, I've been following lately the tragic events ongoing in the Middle East. I love using Aljazeera as a news source, and I continue to be saddened by the terrible acts governments are commiting against their own people, and the enormous number of children and civilians that are killed each day and horribly injured. I've been following the story of Malala Yousafzai and while it's encouraging that she is receiving medical treatment here in Great Britain and likely to make a full recovery, it saddens me beyond belief that this can happen in a world where elsewhere and only miles away girls can so easily obtain an education freely. I've never understood why we're born in certain areas of the world, but only know we must choose to remain committed and aware of the plights of those born and living elsewhere.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment