Sunday, October 2, 2016

Visiting Big Sur

I visited Big Sur a couple of weeks ago with a friend who's also new to the area and it was as enchanting as I had imagined.  It was the first time I'd seen the region on a clear evening and the cliffs, ocean and sunset were remarkable. Described by some as "the greatest meeting of land and water in the world," the rugged central Californian coast line defining Big Sur certainly appeared to be the greatest I've seen. With a planned destination of Julia Pfeiffer state park to see the sunset, the road wound along the coast and I loved the frequent opportunities to explore each overlook. Someday I hope to pursue the multitude of hikes in Big Sur.



The winding roads made me pretty nauseous, and with time to spare before the sunset on the beach, I took a quick nap on the sand. The air was chilly, but with a towel and jacket, it was a peaceful place to sleep! Also remarkable, the purple and pink sand at the beach!



The sun disappeared quicker than I had expected and wasn't quite a clear break with the horizon, but a disappearance into the fog that was rolling in. 

Even more beautiful seemed to be after the sun had set and the pink glow of light framed the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment