Wednesday, June 22, 2016

California

Never did I imagine that my next job would take me as far west as California but a good opportunity is just that. For a couple of months this spring, I worked with a consultant to move to a new position in independent school development. My year and a half in the field has gone by so quickly and there's still a ton to learn, but the amount I've been fortunate to absorb about this field has proved to me that I love educational fundraising. 


I interviewed at a few schools and while I liked all of them, the Stevenson School near Monterey was where the opportunity arose. I headed out there in mid-April for a day and a half, and like so many others, was quickly startled by the beauty of Monterey and the central California coast. After plenty of thought, I accepted an offer in mid-May. 


I'm looking forward to being closer to my brother, in Berkeley, exploring new scenery and seeing and learning new perspectives. There's much I love about New England but I'm looking forward to a change. My year abroad in Scotland three years ago brought so much positive growth, friendship and exploration, that I can't wait to see how this opportunity develops.


No comments:

Post a Comment