Saturday, April 23, 2016

Visiting Oregon

For as long as I can remember, I've had a love for travel. Not so much the act of getting from place to place, but the excitement of seeing somewhere new, seeing how others live, leaving my comfort zone and finding joy in new destinations beyond what I see and know. With a months-long work project wrapping up in late February, I knew travel should be put in order soon after. The West, for the friends and family I could visit and the landscapes unlike most in New England, felt like the obvious choice. The trip was planned for 11 days, longer than I'd traveled in some time. It began in Oregon and continued on to New Mexico where a road trip with a friend conquered four states. The first step: depart Boston at sunset.


I'd visited Oregon before in August 2007 and May 2010 when my brother was an undergraduate in Portland, but not since. Meeting my wonderful friend Allison while we both studied abroad in Scotland three years ago was the reason for the western trip to begin there, in her home city of Portland.

The three days we spent in Portland were relaxing. It was early spring there, and while cloudy and rainy at times, I LOVED how green everything was. The roses, rhododendrons, daffodils and blossoming trees were very welcome as well.  


The Columbia River Gorge (top right) and the nearby waterfalls only 20 or so miles outside of the city were beautiful! As were the opportunities to think, read, walk through green parks and eat delicious Asian food.

The best part of the trip though was catching up with Allison. While Portland is a fantastic destination for natural beauty, a creative food scene, roses, and plenty of hipsters and pioneer history, she was the main attraction for the visit! 

It is true though, Portland's a lovely place! I was struck by it's natural and vast beauty, creative energy and attention to social justice and environmental sustainability. 


No comments:

Post a Comment