Wednesday, August 27, 2014

A Return to Joynalism

A few mornings ago, late August.

I started freelancing this week. I had a chance encounter with an editor in the cafe of one of my workplaces (King Arthur Flour). Thinking I worked in the publicity department at King Arthur, she introduced herself and when I told her that I worked in sales but held a journalism degree, we spoke the language of freelance. I received my first assignment soon after.

It's been a nice return. When I discovered my trusted voice recorder had reached it's last leg, I enjoyed researching and purchasing a new one, conducting the necessary background research before the interview, compiling questions, and this evening, driving down dirt roads to my interviewee's home in rural Vermont.

The hard-hitting questions were a tough return, but I think they've always been tough. It's where the challenge in journalism lies -- between the commitment to a powerful, thought-provoking article and the risk of an uncomfortable or challenging interview.

P.S. I originally intended for the title of this post to sound Boston-accented, but I think the 'joy' part works too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment