Sunday, May 25, 2014

A Return to Scotland


St. Andrews, Scotland.

Recently, I visited Scotland. The visit was beautiful. I hadn't expected much for the trip but knew what I strongly hoped for -- plenty of time with lots of friends, ample laughter and a good chunk of exploration, but I was afraid to expect any of it. I knew that the majority of those I hoped to see were students and most were still in the midst of exams. I knew Scotland might be cold and rainy and that St. Andrews had likely changed in the last twelve months, I knew too, that I had changed. I had graduated three days before and while post-grad life didn't feel too different, I was returning to a university town that had shaped me in the middle of my university experience.

Boston's international terminal, May 15

I flew overnight and arrived in Dublin at 5 a.m. Irish time. I was sleepy and dizzy and quickly made my way towards my flight to Edinburgh. A short time later, I arrived in Edinburgh. From above, Scotland's capitol city didn't appear as green as Dublin's had, but it looked familiar. I took two buses northwards, and realized suddenly that the bus driver was driving on the opposite side of the road. I woke up at each stop, fearful that I might sleep through the St. Andrews stop and found that I was struggling to understand the Scottish and English accents.

Once in St. Andrews, I made my way to my friend Lydia's house in the center of town, where I would be staying. I met a friend for coffee late that morning which was so fun. I realized too, that I had forgotten bits of British English over the last year. Words and phrases took longer to understand as I realized that I was more American than I had been a year ago. I had adjusted to the U.S. over the past 12 months after 8 months away. The British English, social queues and British culture I had worked to adapt to had faded away. 

Shortly after noon, I made my way to the medical school, where Lydia and 7 or 8 other friends were just finishing their final exams. They were all finishing their third year of medical school (the U.K. is on a 6-year medical school system, with students permitted to begin as early as 17 or 18 and St. Andrews only teaching the first 3 years as there is no teaching hospital nearby). It's a St. Andrean tradition that students are "soaked" with buckets of water immediately after finishing their final exams. I had promised these friends I would attend their soakings with my own water in tow and was told that as a recent graduate, I should expect similar treatment. 

When I arrived at the medical school, I found more than a hundred students gathered in a back courtyard. Exitting the back of the building to join them, drops of water began to hit my head from above. When I looked up to the third floor balcony, I found the school's professors pouring the water. :) I wandered around for a bit before finding friends. Many hugs proceeded with excitement and a bit of water as we waited for the final round of students to exit the building. When they made their way out, pouring and splashing and screaming began. Few were safe. With my passport and several other important items with me, I kept myself as dry as necessary, but knew it was the time and place to embrace the soaking.

Medical school professors watching and leading the soakings.

Han being soaked. :)

Nages, myself and Siti. 

Photo by and courtesy of Alex Longson.

Photo by and courtesy of Alex Longson.

After a nap, I met up with a friend for tea, and another friend for dinner before a super early bedtime. I slept for fourteen hours, and woke in the center of a town that taught me so much. Despite the sleepiness of my first day in St. Andrews, I realized strongly that the university and setting served me more positively than any place has before. The academic and social university experience along with the physical beauty of the location offered equal amounts of reflection, education and relaxation. Yet I realized too, that in the last 12 months I spent in the U.S., I learned that the U.S. will likely be the place for me. Travel and foreign study are hugely beneficial and rewarding, as well as hugely challenging at times, yet these experienced tend to shape and define us. 

By the second day, I blended in more and began to adapt to how I once lived. The day consisted of more conversations and laughter with friends, walking along the North Sea, high tea, a celebratory birthday dinner and a party along the coast where the sky stayed light until 10 p.m. At the party, I played ping pong and drank rosé wine with friends. Laughter and dancing proceeded. I ran into my academic brother and he told me proudly that he had adopted five children last fall, saying, "Liz, you're an aunt!" It was exciting news.

Friday morning, May 17, low tide on the North Sea

Miriam and I


To be Continued… 

No comments:

Post a Comment