Friday, March 29, 2013

Vienna, Austria Part I


Hello again.
In Vienna, Lydia, Kristin and I stayed in a nice hostel right outside the city. We were able to take the bus to and from the hostel and took the subway and tram each day throughout the city. I often just followed Lydia and Kristin, feeling a bit dependent as I was unable to read the maps or understand the language, but they were wonderful guides. :)

When we first exited the subway our first morning in Vienna, we found ourselves in the center of the city. The height and beauty of our surroundings was shocking. A large cathedral cast a shadow over much of the historic area we were in and Mozart merchandise, tourist shops and varying forms of chocolate were everywhere. It was windy and very cold (somewhere in the mid-twenties) but we circled the exterior and interior of the large Cathedral and enjoyed walking among the baroque marble and gold statues.

Kristin, Lydia and myself.



There were also dozens of horse drawn (or is it horse-drawn?) carriages in the city center. We were initially approached several times by carriage drivers and opera ticket sellers who spoke in German. Lydia or Kristin often kindly refused, but anytime the sellers were at all in the vicinity and heard me say anything to Lydia or Kristin, they would immediately come back and ask again in seemingly perfect and accent-free English.


It was evident in both eastern Germany and Vienna that the European Union (EU) is crucially important to Germany and Austria. It wasn’t until six months into my stay in the UK that I realized the nation was apart of the EU. This might be due to the UK currently trying to remove itself from the organization. Something about being on the pound, being an island, having a monarchy (in addition to a Parliament) and just seeming incredibly western in comparison to central Europe seem to be the main reasons. The EU flag flew everywhere in Vienna and Eastern Germany. Often above the Austrian or German flag, and always on official state buildings, museums, and sometimes, hotels.

Later that day we took a tour of the opera house after trying the infamous ‘sachertorte’ at a café. The sachertorte is the official desert of Vienna, a chocolate cake slice often with a gold enamel on top. At the risk of sounding terrible, the sachertorte wasn’t too good. The three of us agreed it was just a simple, dry chocolate cake slice.
The opera house though, was gorgeous. We took a tour in English (which I was grateful for) and our tour group was  large and filled with tourists from all over the world.




Being backstage during the opera house tour and seeing the crew move and set up the props and scenery reminded me of my ballet days. The opera house is used for both ballets and operas and our tour guide shocked us all when she mentioned 800,000 costumes were available and stored at the opera house for performances.
Later that evening, we stood outside a Turkish grocery store as Lydia and Kristin deciphered various maps.  A man walked by and tied the leashes of his two large huskies outside the Turkish grocery store before heading inside. The dogs looked quite thin and larger than most huskies I had seen, but one fixed his or her eyes on me while the other watched the owner in the store the whole time. It was cold out and Lydia and Kristin continued their deliberations in German and I began to talk to the dog staring me in the eyes as I jumped up and down for warmth. When the dog’s owner exited the store minutes later, I was feeling particularly friendly and not too embarrassed about my lack of German and said clearly in English, ‘I like your dogs’ when our eyes met. Untying the leashes, he responded slowly, ‘Wolves’ before walking away.
For dinner, we ate a traditional Viennese meal at a nearby café. Kristin and Lydia introduced an herb lemonade to me which was delicious. Almost a bit like a lemon ginger ale. I ordered some type of boiled beef with vegetables and potatoes which came with a delicious apple horseradish and ‘yoghurt’ herb dip.

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment