Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Visit to Deerfield, New Hampshire

Hellllllo. :)



I was having a few issues with this blog for a few days, and just now uploaded a few photos from being home a couple of posts down. :)

As for Deerfield,
It's one of my favorite towns in New Hampshire and I love visiting. My friend Megan lives there on horse farm and I  try to get out to visit each time I'm home. I love the typical rural New Hampshire experiences and sights I have and see there each time. Deerfield is a small town in eastern New Hampshire with a little over 4000 residents but a ton of land. It's about a forty minute drive from Concord, and my favorite route is on the backroads weaving through other small towns past open fields of green and tan in the summer. It's a very different snowy look in the winter but it seems that on clear days in each season, the sky is beautiful and open set upon a natural scene.

Megan and I over the summer in western New Hampshire with a serious sunset.

Even though I grew up pretty rural, being around horses, goats and chickens in a beautiful quiet setting is still very new to me. When I first arrived in Deerfield earlier this week, I loved seeing the quaint and tiny downtown and soon found myself lost as to which of the many side roads from town Megan lived off of. After some assistance, I spotted her barn and three horses outdoors and met her and her sister Lindsey at home. We chose to walk around the town and it was such a warm and clear day.

 
 
 
 Megan's horses are beautiful.
 
I love love love horse noses. I've previously photographed a few horse noses in Vermont and I find them incredibly adorable.
 
 
And then this happened.
 
 
And then this. :)
 
Next came the goats!
 
Oh hey.
 
And the chickens!
 
 
I last saw this group of chickens when they were tiny brown chicks this summer, it was funny to see how they had grown and outgrown their living area.
 
 
I first met Megan at some point during my four years of marching and concert band at Concord High School. I was in the saxophone section with Megan in the flute section, and I met her younger sister Lindsey my senior year when Lindsey and I were fellow munchkins in The Wizard of Oz. I was extraordinarily grateful that her beautiful singing voice could drown out my voice as we sang (or I lip-synced) our part together in the Lullaby League. Megan and Lindsey are such sweet friends of mine and also amazing and inspiring artists. I like to paint...but usually abstract shapes and trees that are not at all realistic but just a creative explosion of color and everything. Both girls are so talented with art and their paintings are EXTREMELY realistic. Recently, they each painted a drum head of varying expressions of their younger brother, Alex.
 
So beautiful.
 
 
P.S. This would be the coolest drum set ever.
 
Leaving Deerfield is always such a calming, scenic drive. It's New Hampshire at (perhaps) it's best and just a beautiful representation of a historic and quaint town.
 
 
Even with dirty snow, it looks pretty good.
 
I have a pretty busy week ahead with several things going on and a bit of preparations for my flight back to St Andrews in a week and a half. It's been a busy, productive, relaxing and easy break. I feel so at comfort and at home here, but I know where I am in Scotland and what I'm heading back to before long brings me the same ease.
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment