Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Now for a longer post...

Why hello, again!

As I said earlier, I truly couldn't be prouder of New Hampshire making history last night by electing the first and only all-female delegation (ever) to represent the state in Washington. I find that to be incredible. I could write volumes on it, but I will say solely that it most resonates with me as women didn't have the vote 100 years ago. This never could have happened 100, 50, 25, or even 10 years ago. I'm only 20, but the fact that this could happen in my lifetime, and in the lifetime of so many wonderful women is beyond amazing. It's historic and makes me feel so proud to be from New Hampshire.

Back to politics in a minute, but first, this is what I did today:

As St. Andrews celebrates it's 600th year, I signed up a couple of weeks ago to be a part of a 'Human coat of arms.' I was assigned to be in the right yellow diamond (a pretty prestigious, rare spot if you ask me!). It was so very cool to be apart of history here today! While the photo is amazing, I can attest that it was a rather chilly and dreadful day. I stood in my lovely thrift-shop yellow  angora sweater for a little over an hour in the formation, with commands to squat, stand, turn, wave, smile, and move coming through a megaphone. It drizzled on and off and was quite windy. The photographers and videographers stood atop St. Salvator's chapel, and we all were down in St. Salvator's quad, the same area the foam fight took place last week! Also, that is the lovely North Sea in the background! A few of my photos from the ground are below:
The photographers were high up!


Assembling.
 
As for the last couple days, its been a mix of emotions. My dear friend/mentor Jennie passed away from cancer late Monday night. While we all were prepared, it certainly was incredibly sad. I haven't been touched by cancer in a really close way, but its such an unexplainable disease and loss to everyone involved. I was able to skype with my wonderful roommate/friend Katie from Saint Michael's late that night for hours about everything possible that we both wanted to discuss which was truly a wonderful experience. I miss and love her so much. The next morning I went to visit my academic Mum for tea, and while I tend to be really guarded about things going on/personal life issues/I think just fearful of needing to seek solace, I was able to talk to her very openly about some of the underlying sadness of the last two months. My Dad John was there too, and I'm convinced they're two of the sweetest people.
We left off with my Mum and I walking to the library together to both go study and while I tend to be a rather quiet/shy person in public, I couldn't help but smile when my Mom yelled after me in a rather silent library, 'Hang in there!'
Creative Writing has been busy the last few days. We have a new tutor to replace Jacob Polley for the remainder of the semester, Meaghan Delahunt. She's a novelist and has been really amazing the last two days with our class and then smaller workshops today. I'm looking forward to working more on short stories in the coming weeks.
 
As for the election last night, I met up with my friend Marissa at her flat last night. She and her flatmates had built a sweet fort in their common room and we played charades under there for an hour before going out to seek some election results. When we did go to seek some election results, it was clear it was still incredibly early and that it would be a late night...I stayed for a couple of hours, but left shortly before midnight. Returning to my residence, I was able to speak with a lot of friends from home about the election as well as friends in my residence. I talked to my Mom on the phone, and decided to get some sleep around 2:30 (9:30 p.m. EST) with no results in yet. I woke again at 4 (11 p.m. EST) to see if there was anything, and it was still hard to tell/I don't really remember much at that time..I think I immediately crashed again...waking at 7, I was greeted on Aljazeera by confetti, 'Obama Re-elected!' and in the background, one of my favorite songs ever, Bruce Springsteen's 'We Take Care of Our Own' at the victory rally. I can say that not only did I breathe a nice sigh of relief, but I also danced a bit to the song.
 
A photo I took last night in St. Andrews, election night 2012:)
 
 
I had a busy day today and found the election was sort of discussed but easily forgotten. After meeting up with my friend Allison for coffee and to discuss it all, I went to a local supermarket to pick up a newspaper (a slice of history, I thought!). I was surprised to find the papers mainly had headlines of 'Voters go to the polls' or 'Obama thinks he can win it' when I remembered the papers were printed before the results were final. I settled on 'The Scotsman' because Dixville Notch, N.H. was on the cover. :) I'll certainly get a kick out of the papers tomorrow...assuming the real news is announced.
 
I'm headed out now for a run and can't help but note HOW DARK IT IS. Oh man. Scotland, you sure are far north. It's early November but this darkness is only comparable to New Hampshire in late December. We're talking 4-4:30 p.m. here the sky turns into a deep navy blue. I know it will just be getting darker...and it's okay...it's pretty cool, and I still seem to find the local bunnies are out in the dark, but I need to keep reminding myself that darkness here does not signal the end of a day, rather, the middle of the day. I can only hope in December I'm not cooking dinner at 2:30 p.m.
 
I think thats all! P.S. To New Hampshire, I still cannot be prouder for your all-female-delegation-history-making-progressiveness. Please, keep it up, I'm so proud to say I'm from you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment