Tuesday, November 1, 2016

October Observations

Somehow, October has slipped away. It rained for four or five days this month and the region has become greener. The rain was welcome and in a strange way, made California feel real and complete to me, a place with both sunshine and rain.


The harvest moon was golden and prominent for a few days in the middle of the month and appeared so familiar in the sky. I realized then how often I'd been forgetting that it was October. Even now, late in the month, it doesn't feel at all like the autumns I've known before. It's darker now, but without a chill in the air. It's still warm and sunny most days and there's little foliage or fallen leaves. New England in October always felt so defined and natural for Halloween. The thick forests and heavy tree cover at night (and during the day) felt mysterious and the transition to frosts and bare branches felt extra spooky. The ocean, fewer trees and dense forests here allow nature to feel more open and inviting.

The waves are largest on windy days, I love seeing them crash into the rocks and shore.

Near my home a couple of days ago, it looks like foliage!

Today on Halloween, I worked at an outdoor carnival at the lower school in the afternoon. The sun was strong and many of us were sweating. I was working closely with two moms, one commented to the other how hot it was that day, the other said that was always Halloween's downside each year. I laughed to myself, realizing I'd never been warm on halloween. I felt sympathetic towards the children with puffy or furry costumes.

I take so many images along the coast, and have found coastal walks like these are not only good exercise, but incredibly soothing for my mind. This scene jumped out to me this evening with the sky's colors, the tiny birds along the horizon, the empty bench and the path towards it. At the moment it was captured, I was thinking about our time on earth, about the changes we're capable of making, of the people we meet and lose along the way, of those who have left and how we can live our own lives, and the lives they weren't able to lead as best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment