Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Navy Skies

Most of my recent residences have been rural places where the stars and sky are bright. Yet I think my current home in Holderness, New Hampshire might be where I see the stars and moon brighter than anywhere else.
sunrise, Holderness, New Hampshire 

I remember at 13, learning about distant galaxies in earth science class and standing outside my home in Concord, New Hampshire on spring nights, staring at the sky in fascination as I found each galaxy. Yet the strongest natural memories existing today of that home in Concord are of the deep woods, surrounding wildlife, bitter winters and humid summers spent outdoors in the garden.

Concord, New Hampshire

When I lived on the east coast of Scotland, in a tiny university and fishing town, I walked at night (particularly in December when night far outnumbered day) through an open field to my residence. I remember gazing at the stars and night sky from that field, the new, unfamiliar tilt of the constellations I remembered seeing in the American northeast. Yet it was the sea air and early spring flowers I remember, not the night sky.

East Coast of Scotland

In northern Vermont, the stars were bright, particularly in the most rural of areas, but it was the crisp and clean air quality, especially in fall, that I remember best.

Northern Vermont

I live alone and am out in the evening most nights. Occasionally I leave a porch light on, but when I don't, the dark walk between car and house is startling. It's dark and quiet and I don't like it much until I feel safe enough to realize that I know this place and these surroundings. It's then that I look upwards. Nearly every time, the stars are brighter than anything I can remember. But I've noticed too, that the sky is never quite black, no matter how late into the night. It's always a shade of navy. I've tried to figure this out, why it doesn't appear to be the dark sky that I remember or imagine it to be, it's always a little lighter, a little more beautiful and colorful with more stars shining through than I thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment