Sunday, January 26, 2014

85 = 3.5 billion

The world's 85 wealthiest individuals have more combined wealth than the world's 3.5 billion poorest individuals (50% of world population). It's an Oxfam statistic released this week that I still can't wrap my head around. To better understand, I used my limited math skills to make some comparisons to understand 3.5 billion people:

3.5 billion people = roughly 3 times the population of India.
3.5 billion people = 3.6 times the entire population of south, north and central America.
3.5 billion people = 11 times the population of the United States.
3.5 billion people = roughly 5 times the entire population of Europe.
3.5 billion people = roughly 3.5 times the entire population of Africa.
3.5 billion people = 92 times the entire population of California.

                                                  On another front,
I'm going to miss college.
(photo by Alexandra Byrne)


No comments:

Post a Comment