Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Snow, a Library and a few Book Reviews

Despite the chill, the snow we have here is beautiful! I haven't yet gone calf-deep exploring through the snow forest as I've been planning, but it shouldn't be too long before I do.


I keep noticing the darkness and early sunsets here and continue to wonder how I survived at this time last year when the sun dipped below the horizon by 2 p.m. and the night stretched for sixteen hours. It continues to baffle me.

I headed to the nearby Dartmouth College library this afternoon in the attempt to do a bit of academic work. I found this Burberry scarf and was doing my best to look the part. 


Dartmouth's main library, Hanover, New Hampshire




Below are a few book reviews. :)

The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry.

This anthology is rather enormous. It was required reading this past spring for my American Poetry class in St. Andrews and some burst of determination convinced me to read the full anthology. Sometime in late July, it was finished. Even for those who may not be too into poetry (I often find my mind wandering when reading it...) The anthology includes the perfect selection of twentieth century poets. Poetry isn't always political, but I like to think that it reflects the thoughts and energy and opinions of the day whether or not it attempts to. Poetry seems to get at what isn't spoken about in public, what history books might have overlooked, the thoughts, emotions and conversations we avoid in the moment. (Book image found here.)

Almost Catholic.

Despite the author keeping a distance from Catholicism throughout and proclaiming his content at the end for not being Catholic, he gets at the admiration for Catholicism, the ritual and history, the practices and teaching and how and why it appeals to non-Catholics. It's written well, he covers many aspects of the faith especially it's presence in the modern-day. I felt it to be particularly relevant with the current popularity of Pope Francis. (Book image found here.) 

The Best American Essays of 2011.

(As a side note, I'm sure the 2012 or 2013 versions would be wonderful, too! This was the $1 copy I found over the summer) Incredibly good essays and powerful writing! Similar to the anthology described above, it was lengthy and involved concentration. Moving and thought-provoking. (Book image found here.) 





No comments:

Post a Comment